Friday, November 28, 2008

Clams with Rouge Sauce on the Cheap

One of my favorite dishes when eating out is linguine with clams in a rouge sauce. Cost at restaurant = ~$10 per serving.  Here is my own hack (thanks to Sue for giving me the push to begin my hack life ;) )

Clams with Rouge Sauce

  • 1  16 oz box linguine (I usually can get this for $0.25 a box at Meijer and stock pile it)
  • 1  jar Ragu spaghetti sauce (bought for 3/$5 + had 3 $0.50 coupons, so $1.17/jar)
  • 3  cans Snow's chopped clams (bought at Rite Aid $0.99/ea + had 3 $1.00/2 coupons, so $0.49/can)
  • 1  12 oz can Carnation Evaporated Milk (bought at Meijer $0.99/can + had coupon for $1/2, so $0.49/can)
  • 2 T cornstarch mixed with just enough water to make it the consistency of maple syrup
In sauce pan, mix together last 4 ingredients cook until heated through and sauce has thickened.  About 10 minutes.  Served my family of 4, plus had 1 portion leftover. Your mileage may vary. Total Cost = $3.38. Cost per serving = $0.68. 

My girls who normally HATE spaghetti sauce gobbled it up and told me it was awesome. As soon as I picked myself off the floor, I entered this post.  ; )

Happy Hacking,
Colleen

No comments: